Front doors can say a lot about the welcome one expects to find inside. It can make or break a house sale. Your entrance door is a message to everyone about who you are. What does your front door say? “Paint Me?” “Stain Me?” or ,”I am a big wooden bore?”
In Feng Shui the front door is “the mouth of Chi ,”and draws the highest energy into the home. It nourishes the home with energy for health , wealth , and happiness. Whether glass , wood , wrought iron , or even metal , it is important that your front door says something positive about your home. Here are some tips to make sure your front door stays super fabulous.
1. It’s true about Red. Red is a dynamic door color , and there is always a shade that will enhance your exterior. In both American tradition and Feng Shui , Red is the color of Welcome. In Feng Shui Red is the color for South facing doors. Enjoy the awesome energy and richness projected from painting your door a sexy Red , like Bejamin Moore’s AF-290 Caliente. Or an earthy Red like Benjamin Moore 1300 Tuscan Red. Try a Red in one of the classic colors , such as PPG Porter’s 232.7 Rummer Run , or Benjamin Moore’s Moroccan Red.
2. Go Green for Renewal. Green in Feng Shui represents harmony and renewal. Green is a good choice for East and South east facing doors. There are some wonderful choices out there like Pratt and Lambert’s Clover 22-20 , more of a Patinaed Cooper. Farrow and Ball’s Folly Green 76 is a fresh color to uplift the outside. Rather than go Grey , try a Grey -Green like Benjamin Moore’s Aganthus Green or their Creekside Green 2141-40.
3. Other popular color choices. Think Blues for prosperity and calm. Benjamin Moore Patriot Blue 2064-20 for a deep Blue , Benjamin Moore Heavenly Blue 709 for a glowing hue . A nice deep Grey Blue is extremely stately . Go White only if you are using it as your trim color everywhere. I still stand by Benjamin Moore’s White Dove as the perfect White paint color.
4. Re-stain for richness . I could not tell you how often I walk up to a sun or rain stripped front door. Our Florida weather is harsh , and your stained doors need continued maintenance. Always use an oil based stain , and follow the usual steps. Sand , strip only when necessary , fill as needed. Apply a good stain and finish with a Spar poly varnish or the equivalent. I like Minwax products and the best stain colors are their Red Mahogany 225 , or Red Chestnut 232 . yes , Red again.
5. If It Is Ugly , Faux It. If you have been stuck with something like an ugly metal door , then it is time to wood grain it into something that will have a high end appearance. It is often a simple job if you or your painter knows how to apply the right color of oil based paint or glaze , and wield a rough brush or metal comb to create the grain lines . Always pick a wood colored paint to add authenticity. Select Benjamin Moore HC-72 Branchport Brown , HC 68 Middlebury Brown , or 1127 Sedona Brown . A great faux wood grained door passes for the real thing.
Go out today and take a look at your front door . Is it tired , boring , or aged in appearance ? This is a simple thing to correct that can make a huge difference in your curb appeal. Plan today to make it a weekend project for your honey or your handyman. When in doubt on what to do , call your designer.