Often we wonder how to find our Muse , we feel uninspired and stuck in a rut . And yet there are so many tasks to do that need our Creativity. We are on work projects , Charity Committees , trying to finally write that book , even just organizing our computer files. It all takes Brain power. Today we will focus on transforming a small space in our home into an ”Inspiration Room” , that will bring out the Leonardo Da Vinci lurking in your soul.
1. Colors – Green is the color of Creativity , it says “GO” to our brain . It can enhance performance and boosts your cognitive levels. Paint your Inspiration Room walls Green. Blue is the color of Academics , it is the hue of the sky and the ocean. Blue makes us feel safe and therefore we become more exploratory. Paint your ceilings Blue. As many of you know , this is one of my favorite room color plans.
2.Scents – The smells of Peppermint and Cinnamon give you energy. Basil improves poor memory. Rosemary and Cypress also help us think. Introduce one or two of these scents into your space. Do this through natural means if possible , such as a Rosemary tree , a piece of Cypress wood.
3. Sounds – White Noise is good to use if other sounds easily distract you . Purchase a small machine and install it in your room. To relax and create , listen to the sound of Rainfall or the Ocean.
4. Inspiration walls – Create a structured or free form wall of photos , fabric , art , or objects that inspire you. Some like a Bulletin Board Collage. I prefer certain books and paintings , which I change out from time to time.
5. Readings- start your Genius sessions with some inspiring quotes or readings. These 3 books are great resources to have on hand , and are easy to order from Amazon. “The New Dictionary of Thoughts: A Cyclopedia of Quotations” , Tryon Edwards 9.99 , “Inspiration Your Ultimate Calling” , Wayne Dwyer ,10.00. “365 Prescriptions For The Soul” , Bernie S Siegal , 10.00. Reading something positive is a daily dose of Get going.
7. Yoga – there are Yoga poses such as the Shoulder Stand that are great for the brain , although I find many days that some Acupressure and Deep Breathing is a little less dangerous , and still mind expanding
.8. A good chair- on the cheap side , the Office Star Air Grid Deluxe task chair , is a nice budget mesh chair to sit in. About 200.00 , I do prefer the Steelcase Think Chair , a very Ergonomic Office Chair that runs around 690.00
9. Brain Foods- There are smart snacks such as plain yogurt , apple splices and grapes. Studies have shown that”grazing” helps keep our blood sugar levels and mood swings at bay. A great trail mix to keep on hand is dark Chocolate for caffeine and sugar energy , mixed with nuts or seeds , dried blue berries , and pop corn. All good brain foods . Along with this stay hydrated , have your favorite water near by.
It is Tuesday , it often feels like the week is moving at a snail’s pace. Let us all Rev our engines , sharpen our Brains , and Create a week of Genius. There are still enough days ahead.
Peggy Oberlin , ASID , license 4986